Welcome to our research stations
The Organization for Tropical Studies is pleased to provide you with the safety protocols that guide the relaunch of our station operations during the Covid-19 pandemic.
We have worked diligently to provide safe and healthy conditions for our visitors and employees. All our employees have received the appropriate training, specific to their respective roles, to ensure continuity and preparedness.
Please note that this document is subject to change without notice as required by the Health Department of Costa Rica.
We thank you for following the instructions below.
- Reservations are required in advance of your arrival.
- It is mandatory that you wash your hands when entering the stations.
- Your temperature will be taken with a noncontact thermometer upon arrival. Visitors with a temperature of 37.5°C or higher will not be allowed entry.
- All visitors must register at the Reservations Office.
- A Covid-19 prevention survey will be required at check-in. The survey includes questions on health symptoms and recent travel data.
- Visitors must bring and use their own personal protection equipment for use on the trails and in the common areas of the station (i.e. face mask, closed-toe shoes, etc.).
- Please respect the social distancing indicators posted on floors, on the ground, and along walkways.
- It is recommended that you wash your hands when returning to your room as well as when entering and/or leaving any building.
- If you are a day visitor, please note that some areas of the station will be restricted for use by overnight guests. These restricted areas are clearly marked.
- You may designate whether your room is cleaned every day, on a designated schedule, or postponed until check-out. If your room is not cleaned daily, please contact the receptionist by phone if you need soap, clean towels, or other personal use items provided by the station.
- Some areas of the station are subject to limited occupancy to ensure proper social distancing. It is mandatory that you adhere to all posted notices and regulations.
- Physical barriers have been placed in public service areas to prevent person-to-person contact between visitors and OTS personnel.
- You are required to maintain social bubbles when sharing rooms, sharing dining areas, and on guided walks.
- For your convenience and added protection, please use digital payment methods, including direct bank draft and touchless credit card devices.
- It is not recommended to visit other guest rooms.
- Guests staying for extended periods of time must have their temperature checked and repeat the Covid-19 prevention survey every five days. Please schedule in advance with the receptionist.
- Do not leave your room if you are experiencing Covid-like symptoms. Contact the receptionist via phone right away for further directions.
Assigned rooms, including the number of tables and chairs available for each activity, are regulated by social distancing guidelines and cannot be altered.
- We will provide you with the specific requirements for your group while using our facilities.
- Social distancing protocols must be followed for the duration of the activity.
- Your group must remain in the area designated for your event. No exceptions.
Dining services will be provided on a set schedule. The buffet and salad bar are temporarily suspended. A menu of available options will be posted each day.
- It is mandatory that you wash your hands when entering the dining hall. No Exceptions.
- Social distancing must be observed, according to the markings along the floor.
- Tables are positioned at 1.8 meters apart, and chairs are 0.8 meters apart, as required by the Department of Health. Please help us keep the dining hall safe for everyone. Do not reposition the tables or chairs.
- There is a maximum of six people per table.
- Diners must sit with others within their social bubble to the extent possible.
A designated OTS guide will provide you with specific rules for your guided walk.
- All guided walks must be scheduled in advance.
- Social bubbles must be protected.
- Please allow an appropriate distance between social bubbles.
- There can be a maximum of six people, per social bubble, on each guided tour.
- Proper spacing will be observed between guided tours along the trails.
The following guidelines apply to all people associated with any research or academic group (i.e. researchers, research assistants, students, teachers, interns, and volunteers).
- Everyone, who is part of the research activity or workshop, must comply with all of the general visitor protocols of the station.
- A person from our scientific team will provide specific guidelines related to your activity, which are applicable to everyone involved.
- In coordination with the OTS person in charge of your project, the designated area for your activity must be cleaned and disinfected following the rules of equipment disinfection established by OTS Laboratory Services.
- Each researcher must schedule in advance the area(s) (s)he wishes to visit at the station with the OTS person in charge of the project. This prevents congestion in any specific location(s).