Thanks to you and the 36 talented naturalists, Global Big Day was truly BIG.
See the results below.
Global Big Day is an annual celebration of the birds around you and around the world. Your donation supports local conservation efforts in Costa Rica via the following organizations:
- The Organization for Tropical Studies (OTS) – OTS’ La Selva Research Station is one of the foremost tropical biology research stations in the world. Established in 1953, La Selva represents generations of research and conservation and protects 1,500 hectares of lowland tropical rain forest (https://tropicalstudies.org/).
- The Sarapiqui Conservation Learning Center (SCLC) – SCLC connects communities and conservation through educational programs, community development, and rural tourism (http://learningcentercostarica.org/).
36 people from Sarapiquí participated in the activity
21 different routes
332 species of birds were identified
We received 19 pledges
We received pledges totaling $2,511
More Important Data:
- Team Sarapiquí is in ninth place in Costa Rica for this event with 332 species identified.
- Costa Rica is in twelfth place worldwide for this event with 709 species.
- Team Sarapiquí is in twenty-first place worldwide for this event with a total species list of 7,267 in the world.
Although the event has ended, you can still support the efforts of our phenomenal naturalists.
The Sarapiquí Team
Routes and Participants List
Global Big Day
May 8, 2021
|Route Number||Route Name||Leader||Participant(s)|
|#1||San Rafel de Vara Blanca||Iván Castillo||
|#2||Calle La Legua||Ronald Jiménez||Alejandro Ortiz|
|#4||Calle Llano Grande-San Gerardo,Río Sarapiquí y Calle Paraíso||Hansell Vega||Tatiana Sánchez|
|#5||La Virgen Centro y alrededores||Ileana Molina||
|#6||Reserva Tirimbina||Lenin Duarte||
(Sector Pueblo Nuevo)
|#8||Circuito El Roble-Chilamate||JJ Umaña|
|#9||Selva Verde Lodge||Jaime Alvarado|
|#10||Bijagual||Wilson Huertas||Sergio Artavia|
|#11||Linda Vista||Erick Castro|
|#12||Chilamate centro y La Yerika Norte||Jaime Alvarado|
|#13||CR Best Chocolate||Rodolfo Alvarado||Solange Huertas|
|#14||Lapa Verde (Sector Chilamate)||María Isabel Vargas||
|#15||Finca Murillo, Complejo y Avenida Marañon||Kevin Martínez|
|#16||La Cureña||Roger Meléndez||
Jean Carlo Gómez
Dylan García Gust’avo Rojas
|#19||OET (Sector La Guaria)||Kevin Martínez|
|#21||Campos Azules||Yahaira Rojas|
Thank you to Holbrook Travel for sponsoring this activity, the teams of naturalist guides who put their birding skills and local knowledge to work, and to all of you who pledged or donated in support of Global Big Day 2021, Sarapiquí edition.